Sunday, July 20, 2014

Simple Joys

Yesterday I took a train for the first time. It was exciting for me to say the least.

Guided by a couple good Romanian friends, we took the train a couple of hours out of the city to visit a fortress, Cetatea Neamt.

It was a nice day. Our little train ride took us through the usual hills of Romania. But this time Romania was extra kind, and provided us with some pockets of sunshine.

You see? Those are sunflowers. I wish the picture did them justice. My poor friends on the train had to deal with me every 5 seconds, “Look, more sunflowers!” They brought out the child in me. They made me realize the importance of finding joy in simple things.

I’ve noticed a pattern here in Romania. It’s just so much easier to be happy. I’m sweaty 100% of the time, my feet ache, and there is no cookie dough. Absolutely none. So why am I so much happier?

David O. Mckay said that “Man’s greatest happiness comes from losing himself for the good of others.” I have learned the absolute truth of that statement, and I know that this is where much of my joy comes from (though I realize I have much to work on to accomplish truly losing myself in service). But there is something else.

I came here expecting to serve others. I was here to help and serve and love orphans. It was my job to help them. And I try my best, I really do. But they offer more to me than I could ever offer them. They won’t understand it in this life, but they have changed my heart. I don’t know if I’m making any sense, but what I’m really trying to say is that I think this joy that I keep speaking of stems from love, more than anything else. The love that these beautiful children show me, and the love that I have been able to develop as a result.

I feel it when Smalls gives me one of her slobbery kisses and then collapses into my arms with full trust that I will be there to catch her. I feel it when Darla reaches desperately for my finger to help her walk, and then hugs my legs as tightly as she can. I feel it when Nala falls asleep snuggled into my neck after an obviously long morning of tears and sadness. And I feel it when sweet Danny gives me that split second smile when she sees me coming to pick her up.

I had another experience with joy. Last week I found out that Smalls was going to be fostered. I had grown quite attached to her, so naturally I was so so sad to see her leave the orphanage. But the amount of joy I feel knowing that she now has a family to take care of her is beyond anything I could ever recall feeling before.

And then there is another joy that I have come to know better throughout my time here in Romania. The joy that can only come from the love of Heavenly Father. I know that he has given me a portion of his love to help me care for these children. And I know that that love provides joy. Seeing and experiencing that kind of love for children so small and with so little has broadened my understanding of the perfect love of God. And that is the most beautiful source of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment