Monday, May 19, 2014

We Are Going to Be Friends

I’m here! I’m actually really seriously in Romania.It didn’t take me long to fall in love with the city of Iasi (Yawsh) and some of its many crazy perks. It really is beautiful, and I find myself trying to take in all of the beauty at once throughout our many walks through the city, though I’ve quickly found out that that’s just not possible. One of my favorite things about the city is the great number of churches that are found on nearly every corner. But I do love the bright green parks set throughout the city as well, practically begging me to lay down and absorb the sun.

Yep, the church is true. Even in Romania. The branch we attended is pretty small, I’d guesstimate a congregation of about 20 people if you don’t include us interns. The members were so welcoming and genuinely happy to have us. There is quite a language barrier but some great missionaries help us fill in the gaps where the Romanian 101 has failed me. It is great to be able to hear the testimonies of church members so far across the globe, and see that the same truths are taught and cherished in Romania as they are at home.

I’d have to say that today was my favorite day. You see, when I woke up, I felt less than great. I woke up pretty early due to the whole jet lag thing and had way too much time to think. Romania is different. My bed and shower are different. The smell and the streets and the food are different. And I let those thoughts weigh me down (when they really should be lifting me up. Different is great!) But this morning we toured the orphanage and a few other places to meet the children we would be working with for the next few months. It was almost hard for me to understand what I was feeling, it was so overwhelming. My heart became so full of love and gratitude for these children that I had just met. There is no denying that I have a purpose here. These children have already impacted my life so greatly and I only hope that I can offer my best to return the favor to them. We haven’t started actual work in the orphanage yet, so more on that to come.

After we finished with the tours, we set out for a game of futbol with a friend of ours from the branch. So. Much. Fun. However, I learned I should never touch a soccer ball again for two reasons. 1. I’m absolutely dreadful (no, seriously, no one should fall down trying to kick a ball). 2. I’m a danger to myself and everyone around me when on the soccer field (court? asphalt?). I don’t think I can offer enough apologies for the injuries I inflicted upon my poor friends. But, despite my coordination struggle, the soccer game was the perfect pick-me-up to end the day.

As I sat on a busy sidewalk watching the people of Romania, I couldn’t help but think of the talk given by Elder Eyring in the last general women’s meeting. “You are more alike as [children] of God than you are different.” The culture here is different, but the ultimate truth of our Heavenly Father and His love for us is unchanging. We're going to be friends, Romania and I. I love it, and am overjoyed that I can call it home, at least for the next few months. Te iubesc.

2 comments:

  1. Brooke! Seems like you're surviving the culture shock quite well. You're seeing first hand how privileged we are here in the promised land and what life is like on the other side. You're a very loving person, and I know the children you work with will feel that love. Keep embracing the culture as you are, and you'll be sure to leave a lasting impression with these kids, just as they will leave a lasting impression on you.

    Your experience with soccer made me laugh so hard! I could just picture you kicking the crap out of people and falling down haha. It reminds me of when I use to play futbol on my mission. I was uncoordinated and had injured my fair share of friends as well. :P Gringo pride baby.

    Love the pictures! Keep a positive outlook like you are and always remember that Heavenly Father loves you. We all love and miss you, but you are where you need to be.

    http://www.gifbin.com/986714

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks pal! Its no Honduras but I do love Romania. Keep it real in Orem for me. I'm still laughing about the gif ahaha.

    ReplyDelete